This list has been compiled to highlight a range of source material that can inform your decolonisation practices. It is very much a work in progress and we would be grateful if suggestions for other sources could be sent to email@example.com.
Many of the how to guides also have short reading lists at the end.
Decolonising General Texts
- Bendix, Daniel, Franziska Müller and Aram Ziai (eds.) (2020), Beyond the Master's Tools? Decolonizing Knowledge Orders, Research Methods and Teaching (Rowman and Littlefield)
- Bhambra, Gurminder K. (2014), ‘Postcolonial and Decolonial Dialogues’, Postcolonial Studies, 17.2, pp. 115-21.
- Mignolo, Walter (2011). The darker side of Western modernity : global futures, decolonial options (Duke University Press)
- Smith, Linda Tuhiwai (2012). Decolonizing methodologies : research and indigenous peoples. (Zed Books).
- Tuck E and Yang KW (2012). Decolonization is not a metaphor. Decolonization: Indigeneity, Education & Society 1(1): 1–40.
Decolonising the University
- Gurminder K. Bhambra, Dalia Gebrial and Kerem Nişancıoğlu (eds). (2018). Decolonizing the university (Pluto Press)
- Rhodes Must Fall Movement, Oxford ; edited by Roseanne Chantiluke, Brian Kwoba and Athinangamso Nkopo (2018). Rhodes must fall : the struggle to decolonise the racist heart of empire (Zed Books).
Race in HE and Anti-Racist Pedagogies
- Ahmed, Sara. (2012). On Being Included: Racism and Diversity in Institutional Life (Duke University Press)
- Arday, Jason, Belluigi, Dina Zoe and Dave Thomas, (2020), Attempting to break the chain: reimaging inclusive pedagogy and decolonising the curriculum with the academy, Educational Philosophy and Theory, DOI: 10.1080/00131857.2020.1773257
- Arday, Jason, Mirza, Heidi Safia (Eds.) (2018). Dismantling Race in Higher Education: Racism, Whiteness and Decolonising the Academy (Palgrave Macmillan)
- Benitez M., (2010) “Racialized Rhetoric, Racialized Bodies, Racialized Spaces: Politicizing How Race and Racism Are Experienced in Higher Education”, Iowa State Conference on Race and Ethnicity 11(1). https://www.iastatedigitalpress.com/iscore/article/id/10088/
- Bhopal, Kalwant. (2017). Addressing racial inequalities in higher education: equity, inclusion and social justice, Ethnic and racial studies, 40:13, 2293-2299, DOI: 10.1080/01419870.2017.1344267
- Bhopal, Kalwant. (2018). White privilege : the myth of a post-racial society (Policy Press)
- Dale-Rivas,Hugo (ed). (2019). The white elephant in the room: ideas for reducing racial inequalities in higher education. HEPI - https://www.hepi.ac.uk/wp-content/uploads/2019/09/HEPI_The-white-elephant-in-the-room_Report-120-FINAL-EMBAROED-19.09.19.pdf
- DiAngelo, Robin J. (2018). White fragility : why it's so hard for white people to talk about racism (Beacon Press)
- Johnson, Azeezat, Remi Joseph-Salisbury and Beth Kamunge. (2019). The Fire Now: Anti-Racist Scholarship in Times of Explicit Racial Violence (Zed Books) (Especially chapter 2. An Academic Witness: White Supremacy within and beyond Academia - Azeezat Johnson & chapter 3. Understanding Racism within the Academy: The Persistence of Racism within Higher Education - Jason Arday)
- Joseph, Nicole M., Chayla Haynes and Floyd Cobb. (2015). Interrogating Whiteness and Relinquishing Power: White Faculty's Commitment to Racial Consciousness in STEM Classrooms (Peter Lang)
- Kwakye, Chelsea and Ore Ogunbiyi. (2019). Taking up space: The Black Girl’s Manifesto for Change (Penguin)
- McIntosh, Peggy, “White Privilege: Unpacking the Invisible Knapsack”, by Peggy McIntosh.
- Read through the list of 50 items she lists as daily effects of white privilege: http://www.cirtl.net/files/PartI_CreatingAwareness_WhitePrivilegeUnpackingtheInvisibleKnapsack.pdf
- Sian, Katy. (2019). Navigating Institutional Racism in British Universities. Palgrave Macmillan (especially chapters 4 (Teaching Experiences) and 5 (Decolonizing the Curriculum))
- Solórzano, D. G., & Yosso, T. J. (2002). Critical Race Methodology: Counter-Storytelling as an Analytical Framework for Education Research. Qualitative Inquiry, 8(1), 23–44. https://doi.org/10.1177/107780040200800103
- Younge, Odelia and Lola Olufemi, Waithera Sebatindira, Suhaiymah Manzoor-Khan, A Fly Girl's Guide To University: Being a Woman of Colour at Cambridge and Other Institutions of Elitism and Power (London: Verve Poetry Press, 2019)
- Allen, Louisa. (2015). Queer pedagogy and the limits of thought: teaching sexualities at university, Higher education research & development. , 34:4, 763-775.
- Bird, L. (2004). A queer diversity: teaching difference as interrupting intersections. Canadian Online Journal of Queer Studies in Education , 1 (1), 1-25. Available online
- Ruffolo, D. (2006). Reading students as queer: disrupting (hetero) normativity for an equitable future. Canadian Online Journal of Queer Studies in Education , 2 (1), 6- 28. Available online
- Chung, Sae Hoon Stan. (2019). The Courage to Be Altered: Indigenist Decolonization for Teachers. New Direction for Teaching and Learning. 157. 13-25. DOI: 10.1002/tl.20327
- Velasquez Runk, Julie (2014). 'Enriching Indigenous Knowledge Scholarship via Collaborative Methodologies: Beyond the High Tide’s Few Hours', Ecology and Society, 19:4, https://www.jstor.org/stable/26269678.
Decolonial Research Methodologies
- Cochran, Patricia A.L., Catherine A. Marshall, Carmen Garcia-Downing, et al. (2008). 'Indigenous Ways of Knowing: Implications for Participatory Research and Community', American Journal of Public Health, 98:1, 22-27, https://doi.org/10.2105/AJPH.2006.093641
- Koster, Phonda, Kirstine Baccar, and R. Harvey Lemelin (2012), 'Moving from research ON, to research WITH and FOR Indigenous communities: A critical reflection on community‐based participatory research', The Canadian Geographer / Le Géographe Canadien, 56:2, 195-210, https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1541-0064.2012.00428.x
- Owusu-Kwarteng, L. (2019). ‘Livin and Learnin’, Tellin’ stories, Challengin’ narratives: Critical reflections on engaging students from marginalised groups in academic research activities.. Compass: Journal of Learning and Teaching, 12(1). doi:http://dx.doi.org/10.21100/compass.v12i1.951
- Tobias, Joshua K., Chantelle A.M. Richmond, and Isaac Luginaah (2013), 'Community-Based Participatory Research (CBPR) with Indigenous Communities: Producing Respectful and Reciprocal Research', Journal of Empirical Research on Human Research Ethics, 8:2, https://doi.org/10.1525/jer.2013.8.2.129